04 February 2016

SPOONFLOWER CONTEST Interspecies Animal Friendships

Have you ever gotten an image in your mind that you just can't shake? Well, last week I came across a picture of cowbirds sitting on the back of a bison. Something struck me about the way the birds just rode along all casually on top of that magnificent beast. This week's Spoonflower contest theme is 'Interspecies Animal Friendships' so I thought I'd use that captivating image as my inspiration and see where it took me.
This is the design I ended up with. It's called 'Bird and Bison' because the more I learned about birds and bison the more their symbiotic relationship reminded me of the relationship between siblings. They both tolerate each other for the good things they do for one another. The birds eat the bugs which would otherwise bother the bison. And I challenge you, show me a good sibling who hasn't bitten off the head of someone bothering their brother or sister? The bison, on the other hand, scare off the prey which would attack the birds. Sounds like a big brother or sister to me. So, I like to think these two are friends.

If you're so inclined, head on over to Spoonflower to vote for Bird and Bison or take a look at it in my shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment