07 January 2016

Beautiful Obliteration

Remember the time I ripped out all of the carpeting in my house? When my husband and I were moving our entertainment center, we found a couple years worth of Duplos, marbles, and random toy pieces underneath it. We cleaned it out as best we could, but after we slid the unit out of the way we found a pile of the strangest looking crumbs. It looked like a jelly fish had died in the middle of our family room. What the...?!?! 
Now, I've seen a lot of strange messes during my years as a mother (and I have to ask, "Is this chocolate or poop?" more times than should really be allowed), but I'd never seen anything like this. I put on my mama armor, (In case you are not familiar, this is the armor that let's a vomit-phobic mother catch barf like a champ and keeps me from gagging when I have to wipe snot bubbles.) and poked the crumbs with my finger.
To my relief, it was just a bouncy ball. An obliterated bouncy ball, that is. The weight of the entertainment center had decimated the ball into a pile of the most beautiful crumbs I'd ever seen. I scooped the mess up and set it in our windowsill because even though it was destroyed, it was just so lovely.
Have you ever been through something really tough? Like, something that makes you cry most days. Makes you develop an eye twitch. Makes you fall to your knees in prayer because you can't see where it's all leading?
I've been reading the book of Job in the Bible and it's got me thinking. Maybe we are a lot like the bouncy ball in those times of trial. We may be completely obliterated, shattered into pieces, but if we let God work in us he can use it to make something beautiful. The whole bouncy ball was ordinary and boring, but put under pressure it became something captivating and extraordinary.
Let this little ball encourage you, Friend. Let the pieces of your life show your beauty. Let the trials of your life expose the extraordinary within. The best part is, we do not have to stay in pieces like this bouncy ball. There is a God who can turn our mess into something better, something new, unexpected, and whole. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment