27 November 2015

My Best vs. Your Worst


Take a look at those gorgeous floors, would ya?
In our week three Unicorn Project playbook, Jo asked us to reflect on our best moment in the month so far. Maybe it was because I was holding my one year old or because of the book I've been reading (For The Love by Jen Hatmaker), but I couldn't get this thought out of my head. The idea of my best.

You see, my little one you see in the picture above has been potty trained since she was 18 months old. Much to the dismay of my husband, I've gone off the hippie deep end in the last few years and we did elimination communication with her. (Go ahead, read about it, shake your head at me, and come back.) Early potty training was just a part of that territory, plus once this girl sets her mind to something she does it 100%. It is just the way she is. I hardly had anything to do with it.

I could strut around, proud as can be that my baby is out of diapers before your baby... nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah... but, get this: she only started sleeping through the night in the last month. That means your little diapered darlings have been sleeping circles around my princess in panties for over a year. Yikes! Checking potty training off of our list a little earlier than usual was most certainly a 'best moment' in our parenting journey; however, sleeping is a 'worst'.

We all have these best and worst moments, not just parents. I am a fast reader, but I can't bake to save my life. I enjoy quilting, yet I hate folding laundry. I want you to hear this and know it in your hearts, dear ones: Don't compare my best to your worst.

Remember that we should encourage the best in others. Just remind yourself that they have 'worsts' as well. As we head into this season of more, bigger, better, and busy I wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and your best is good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment