20 October 2015

READ MORE BOOKS Kid's Chapter Books [Part Four]

Today I am sharing a few of my favorite children's chapter books. My three kids are just starting to enjoy chapter books. Right now they range in age from 1-6 and while the toddler is not engaged in the story, she is learning to sit quietly while we read together. Here are a few chapter books we enjoy.

1 -- Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers - I hate to admit it, but I never read this book as a child. I was pleasantly surprised by all of the stories left out of the popular film. This magical tale is one of our very favorites to read or listen to on audio book in the car.

2 -- The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner - I have fond memories of this book as a child. Reading it again as an adult was a bit different, but I think it is a great story for children. The role of make believe and resourcefulness cannot be overstated in a child's life.

3 -- The Sacred Mountain by Dalen Keys - My dad recorded my favorite childhood bedtime story in book form a few years ago. This story will always be close to my heart. It not only taught me important lessons, but gave me the courage to follow my passions.

4 -- Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater - Another story I did not read until adulthood, but thoroughly enjoyed. This fun story about an unlikely bunch of penguins is quick, sweet, and a lot of fun.

5 -- The Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum - My kids and I are currently making our way through this book and I can already tell we will read it over and over again. The subtle lessons and vivid imagery are great for young children. Even my husband looks forward to hearing this book in the evenings!

6 -- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - This is the other book we are reading currently. I'll admit that it is a little more difficult for my kids to sit through, but I like to push their patience and imaginations, plus it makes them drowsy for bedtime! This story has brought up a lot of discussion about race, social class, manners, and expectations.

7 -- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl - My eldest daughter has always had a thing for Willy Wonka, so this book was a shoo in for us. The silly story and memorable characters make this a great choice for kids.

8 -- Stuart Little by E.B. White - My entire family heard this story for the first time on audio book on a road trip and the adults were quite surprised by the abrupt ending. After I got over the shock, I realized that it was a perfect ending for little ones. Their imaginations get to fill in what happens next and it teaches them that we don't always have all of the complete picture in life.

9 -- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis - This book is part of a series that cannot be missed. Adults and children alike will love the characters and allegory that abound in this powerful tale.

10 -- The Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell - I hesitated to add this book to the list. My children have not enjoyed it and we have not yet made it all the way through. However, I loved it as a kid and I think they will too in just a few more years. A survival story with a female protagonist is not to be missed!

Psst - If you are looking for some recommendations for children's books, here is a list of picture books we love. For adults, here and here are some novels I recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment