10 September 2015

READ MORE BOOKS Kid's Picture Books [Part Three]


Today I am sharing a few of my favorite children's pictures books. As a mama of three little ones, I spend an inordinate amount of time reading books, so I am always on the hunt for fun ones to read! Here are a few of the favorites in rotation at our house.

1 --- Press Here by Herve Tullet - It's not often that you find a children's book that is genuinely interactive. This beautiful book keeps even the littlest ones engaged with the fun commands and bright colors.

2 --- If Everybody Did by Jo Ann Stover - This was one of the most read books in my house growing up and it still makes me smile. Stover did such a great job of illustrating a familiar saying in a silly way children can easily grasp.

3 --- The Hunt for Snufflegrunt's Treasure by Stewart Cowley and Colin Petty -  My favorite children's book. Hands down. This book is so dear to me, my father hunted down a copy to give to my husband and I on the eve of our wedding with a personal note about our journey. Though it is out of print, I highly recommend snatching up any copy you can find. Choose your own adventure stories are always fun!

4 --- Just A Quilt? by Dalen Keys - My father's first children's book. It was inevitable that my dad would come up with a story about quilts considering how much time he's spent schlepping around quilt stores waiting for my mother. This story is about a little boy (my brother) and all of the inventive ways he uses his quilts. The illustrations alone are a joy!

5 --- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle - Any book with holes in the pages is going to be a big hit in my house. With an easy, fun cadence and beautiful illustrations, it is no wonder this book is a classic.

6 --- Caps For Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina - I enjoy reading this quirky story aloud and my children love hearing it. With detailed illustrations and monkeys, you just can't go wrong.

7 --- Where's Waldo? by Martin Handford - I have probably spend hours of my life looking for Waldo. Thanks a lot, Martin Handford. No, really. Thank you. My son has inherited the obsession.

8 --- I'm So Mad by Robie Harris and Nicole Hollander - Okay, so I found this book second hand and casually tossed it into my basket. I cannot explain it, but every single one of my children has loved this book from age 1-3. (My one year old currently opens the book and says, "Mad, mad, mad!")

9 --- Hattie The Bad by Jane Devlin - A new favorite in our house because you get to yell the word... Well, you'll just have to read it to find out. We love Hattie.

10 --- Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss - My poor mother tied her tongue in knots reading this favorite book of mine to me as a child and I've had my come-up-ins since my children love it as well.

Psst - If you are looking for some recommendations for books that are a little more challenging than picture books, here and here are some novels I recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment