09 September 2015

MY ARTISTIC VISION Storytelling [Part Five]


Storyteller. This is a label I do not hear bestowed on many a person these days. In the digital age, a storyteller seems a bit old fashioned, outdated, and quaint. We have many methods of preserving stories today that could not be imagined in the beginning of time; books, blogs, diaries, videos, Instagram, Facebook, the list is nearly endless. Despite all of these, nothing replaces the tales parents tell their children at bedtime, a lasting ritual to connect, soothe, and guide.

The chapter entitled "Oyster Bed" of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift From The Sea that I read this week, Lindbergh talks of the ebb and flow of life, the different roles of function and beauty, the importance of shedding our shells and periods of growth. All of these things make up the great story, the web of our days.

Lindbergh writes, "The web is fashioned of love... It is made of loyalties, and interdependencies, and shared experiences. It is woven of memories of meetings and conflicts; of triumphs and disappointments. It is a web of communication, a common language, and the acceptance of lack of language, too." This is how she describes marriage, but I think it is also an apt description of the story of life.

My father is a master storyteller. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of the nights when he would tell us the next part of the story he had running in his head*. The characters, the lessons, the plot twists were captivating to my growing mind. His stories taught me to look for the beautiful, odd, and unexpected moments in life.

My mother is also a master storyteller. Fabric is her tool of choice. She makes beautiful quilts that tell the story of our family life. Her art provides our home with beauty and warmth. Her hands have articulated the stories that shield us in our sleep.

I also want to be a storyteller. Each motif that finds its way from my mind to a piece of paper, a piece of fabric or a piece of pattern is part of the story of my life. There are times when it is easy to create something pretty or trendy or sweet, but I want my work to be a reflection of me and the story I am telling with my life.

Storyteller. Let this timeless word describe me and my work. Let me tell a story worth hearing.

MY ARTISTIC VISION + CORE VALUES
1 --- Simplicity
2 --- Solitude
3 --- Balance
4 --- Storytelling

*If you would like to read my favorite childhood story go to Dalen Keys' (my dad) website to check out his book, The Sacred Mountain.

If you missed the beginning of this series, get caught up by reading parts one, two, three, and four.

No comments:

Post a Comment