24 September 2015

MY ARTISTIC VISION Selectivity [Part Seven]


"For it is only framed in space that beauty blooms. Only in space are events and objects and people unique and significant - and therefore beautiful." - Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift From the Sea

If you have ever read her work you know that Anne Morrow Lindbergh has such a way with words. Gift From the Sea slips inside my mind and finds all of the thoughts I haven't yet found the words to give them voice. Her ideas are profound and yet simple, big and yet so intimate. Selectivity is the value that surfaced for me in this chapter, "A Few Shells". (If you missed the beginning of this series, check out parts onetwothreefourfive, and six.)

Lindbergh best summarizes her chapter like this, "For it is not merely the trivial which clutters our lives but the important as well. We can have a surfeit of treasures - an excess of shells, where one or two would be significant." It is no great secret that I fall on the side of minimalism in most things, however reading this chapter honed for me why I am a minimalist. I like to appreciate the beauty of one thing at a time. Too many of anything is distracting for me. Lindbergh writes, "In fact, the acquisitive instinct is incompatible with true appreciation of beauty." This may not be true for everyone, but it certainly is for me.

The selectivity the author describes of collecting one perfect shell over all of the beautiful shells reminds me I prefer simple, beautiful works of art that draw the eye to the curve of a line, a delicate stroke, a sweet shade. I will work to be selective in my work, editing what is redundant and distracting drawing the eye to simple beauties and the heart to quiet moments.

However, Lindbergh also got me thinking about selectivity in what I will work will accept in my artistic career. She wrote, "...we usually select the known, seldom the strange...and yet it is the unknown with all its disappointments and surprises that is the most enriching." Oh, how I agree with this. I must remember to push myself just a bit further than I am capable of, where I am comfortable and safe. These are the opportunities I crave and value. Yet, I must remember Lindbergh's advice to keep myself afloat in a sea, not of distractions, but too many opportunities. These core values will be my life preserver.

Here's where I stand on my journey so far:
MY ARTISTIC VISION + CORE VALUES
1 --- Simplicity
2 --- Solitude
3 --- Balance
4 --- Storytelling
5 --- Freedom
6 --- Selectivity

No comments:

Post a Comment