15 September 2015

MY ARTISTIC VISION Freedom [Part Six]

In case you missed parts onetwothreefour, and five, I am exploring my personal artistic vision and core values as I read through Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift From The Sea. This week while reading the "Argonata" chapter, I fell hard for this quote, "We are adventuring in the chartless seas of imagination."

This quote beautifully describes my next core value, freedom. While I crave schedules, structure and predictability in my days, I am facinated by the idea of artistic freedom. I may love a daily planner as much as the next girl, however having a bit of structure to my days gives my brain the freedom to travel uninhibited in my times of artistic exploration.

This chapter is one of my favorites in the book, so I highly recommend it, but here is a taste for those of you who haven't read it, "Woman must come of age by herself... to learn how to stand alone. She must learn not to depend on another, nor to feel she must prove her strength by competing with another." She continues, "Both extremes throw her off balance; neither is the center, the true center of being a whole woman. She must find her true center alone. She must become whole." Lindbergh describes how a woman must find herself in order to completely share with another, to "see the other whole and against a wide sky!" This freedom to be myself is what I crave most, because when I am myself I can do the most good for others.

In one of my favorite passages, Lindbergh describes a day she spends with her sister on the little island on which she wrote the book. The freedom and purity of the day is a treasure to read and savor. It is a glimpse of heaven. As their peaceful day winds down, the author and her sister watch the stars and Anne writes, "one thirsts for the magnitude and universality of a night full of stars, pouring into one like a fresh tide." Ah, the freedom to pause. This freedom take a moment to enjoy nature is a type of freedom I often neglect. Such beauty is always around me and yet I often let my daily schedule blind me to all else.

But perhaps the most important freedom I wish to pursue is the freedom in cycles. Lindbergh talks about intermittency and how, "We have so little faith in the ebb and flow of life, of love, of relationships. We leap at the flow of the tide and resist in terror its ebb. We are afraid it will never return."

I see this most clearly in my creativity. I fear that I will one day reach the end of my artistic fount, only to be left with unattainable dreams and dusty hopes. I must remember to work in the present, whatever stage of the creative flow I am in. After all, "So beautiful is the still hour of the sea's withdrawal, as beautiful as the sea's return when the encroaching waves pound up the beach..." With this in mind I will embrace the days when I do not want to create or the baby is sick or I am too tired to think. These days will fill my cup with joy, simplicity and balance.

So, here's my list so far.
MY ARTISTIC VISION + CORE VALUES
1 --- Simplicity
2 --- Solitude
3 --- Balance
4 --- Storytelling
5 --- Freedom

1 comment:

  1. Good information.Thank you so much for share such a wonderful post.I like the way of writing and presenting.I bookmarked this post for my friends and colleagues.best essay service

    ReplyDelete