13 August 2015

MY ARTISTIC VISION Solitude [Part Three]


In case you missed Parts One and Two, I am exploring my personal artistic vision and core values as I read through Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift From The Sea. This week while reading the "Moon Shell" chapter, I was struck by this thought, "I believe that what woman resents is not so much giving herself in pieces as giving herself purposelessly."

Today I am thinking about solitude. Lindbergh discusses how the varied tasks a woman must do can drain her physically, emotionally, spiritually, and most importantly, creatively. Without a chance to recharge, her efforts will be lackluster and in vain. As she puts it, "Eternally, woman spills herself away in driblets to the thirsty, seldom being allowed the time, the quiet, the peace, to let the pitcher fill up to the brim." I see this most clearly in myself in motherhood. Though I hate to admit it, I need a break now and then. A quick trip to the grocery store or the library can rekindle my enthusiasm for the intensity of mothering three young children. It is the same in my artistic endeavors. I must set aside time, without guilt, to pursue my passions. I cannot teach my children to follow their dreams if I do not do so myself.

But time alone, is not the only way I must incorporate solitude into my life. I must remember to maintain solitude in comparison and competition. I must compare and compete only with myself. Lindbergh says, "When one is a stranger to oneself then one is estranged from others too. If one is out of touch with oneself, then one cannot touch others." I need to know myself and push myself to grow without worrying what others are doing. I will lose focus, joy, and time if I spend all of my time gawking at others.

In order to be the still axis around which my family can spin without flying out of balance, I must remember that the solitude I foster in order to create and refill my pitcher is not wasted, vain time. I will water the garden of my family and creativity from the spring of solitude.

So here's where I stand so far:
MY ARTISTIC VISION + CORE VALUES
1 --- Simplicity
2 --- Solitude

No comments:

Post a Comment