28 July 2015

MY ARTISTIC VISION Empty, Open, Choiceless [Part One]


Have you ever read Gift From The Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh? I read it for the first time earlier this year and after a $1 thrift store find, am now the proud owner of my own copy. The plan was to put it on the bookshelf and re-read it again in a year or two, but I found I could not put this little book away without cracking it open again.

I'll just read the intro, I thought.


A few minutes later and 17 pages in, I came upon this quote, "Patience, patience, patience is what the sea teaches. Patience and faith. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea." (Emphasis mine.)

Lindbergh's words pierced my anxious mind. Lately as I've been drawing and sketching I have been wondering and worrying about where it is leading. Instead of enjoying the journey I was focused on the destination, a destination I have not even decided upon as of yet. It really made no sense and was steadily driving me mad.

Empty, open, choiceless is how I've resolved to move from here. I want to be open to all possibilities and empty of limiting goals. I am not going to make choices yet; purposefully I will let myself create playfully and with joy. Instead of forcefully digging for treasure, I am going to let the sea of life bring me a gift.

I am hoping that creating with this open, empty mind will help me shape my creative vision, emphasizing joy and care in my work. If you get a chance, pick up this little book. You won't be disappointed and I will check in soon and let you know how it is speaking to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment