27 July 2015

A Little Monday Morning Progress

Sketches in progress
I am working on a new pattern today. This one is inspired by goats. This Spoonflower challenge has a restricted color palette which is a new constraint for me to work with. As I am struggling with the limited palette, I couldn't help but think of a quote I read last week in the book Things A Little Bird Told Me by Biz Stone, the co-founder of Twitter. He talks about the powerful effect of constraints on creativity and wrote, "Creativity is a renewable resource. Challenge yourself every day." I like that.


At this point in my creative journey, simply entering these contests is good for me because I often want to scream, "Don't look! I take it back!" the instant I hit the 'submit' button. This way I am ripping that bandaid of self doubt and fear right off almost every week. No, my work is not perfect. But I am working hard, enjoying myself and I learning how to share my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment